The parish church of Amotherby is dedicated to St Helen, the wife of the Roman Emperor Constantius Chlorus, whose son became Emperor Constantine in 306 A.D. Wills dating from the 14th century refer to the “Chapel of the Blessed Helen of Amotherby.”
St Helen’s has always been a “daughter” church of All Saints, Appleton-le-Street and therefore it is infrequently mentioned in historical records. The first written reference to the church at Amotherby occurs in 1218 in a charter of Pope Honorius III to St. Albans Abbey, when the Pope grants the churches of Appleton and Amotherby to the Abbey.
Several Anglo-Viking cross-heads have been found in the vicinity of the church dating from the ninth to eleventh centuries and pointing to the antiquity of the site.
Little remains of the earliest building with the present form of the church dating from 1871 when the nave was completely rebuilt and the north aisle added. During the rebuilding, the original font which was probably Norman, was removed and now stands outside adjacent to the porch. A new font was installed during the rebuild which boasts intricate carving and design.
The parish cemetery is adjacent to the churchyard which is now closed. Both are maintained by the Amotherby Parish Council. An impressive display of Primroses and spring bulbs can be seen in the spring months and the churchyard is a welcome space for wildlife, especially with the placement of bug houses and bird boxes built by pupils of Amotherby Community Primary School.
There is a footpath through both the cemetery and the churchyard which the public is welcome to use. If you are passing through, take time to visit the church. It is open most days from 10am to dusk.
There are a number of war graves within the churchyard along with a war memorial.
The church is at the top of Church Street and not visible from the main road. There is limited parking.
Detailed information on St Helens Amotherby can be found by following the link (PDF document).